conversations in ten questions 45: Rachel Lum

In this series of interviews we try to get to know the artists who will perform in Fringe Festival Istanbul 2022. Our fourth guest is Rachel Lum from Deca.Dance Co. 
Ayse Draz, Art Unlimited Performing Arts Editor & Mehmet Kerem Ozel, Writer


What is the essence of performance in your opinion?
It is to inspire, express and mostly importantly, connect with the audience.

Do you believe in the transformative power of art? How?
YES! Back home, I work closely with elderly communities. I observe first-hand how art and movement can transform a person’s outlook on life. I have even witnessed personality changes for the better through engaging in the arts.

When you are working on a piece, what sources inspire you? Do dreams play a role in your pieces?
I pull inspiration from the moment in time I am in, whatever season of life, phase, life stage, all that is around, is what I put out as my artistic language.

When do you decide to give a title to a piece you are working on if it already does not have one?
It’s more of an emotional connection, I am drawn to not just what feels appropriate for the piece, but more importantly, how it connects best to me as a creator and to the audience.

Are there any artist or person whom you think influenced your art most? And if there is such an artist or person, who?
I am a big fan of horror genre movies. The sensations, how directors keep audiences on edge, are influences to how I would like to draw on and create that same feeling in my craft.

When you consider the current state of the world in every sense, what is the most important and urgent issue for you as an artist?
Love. We need to love each other more and more and more. There’s a stark void in the world, in which love should always lead the way.

What does ‘Fringe’ signify for you?
‘Fringe’ signifies cross border creative collaboration, freedom in expression, and artistry that transcends boundaries.

Why did you decide to participate in the Istanbul Fringe Festival particularly with ‘No Corners’?
’No Corners’ is a piece that is is dear to me, it is one of my boldest, and is multi-disciplinary, featuring dance and film. I felt that it suits the vibe of ‘Fringe’, bold and beautiful.

If we are not mistaken, "No Corners" first emerged as a site-specific piece inspired by the spatial features of Orchard Road in Singapore. Did you make any revisions while moving a piece that you created by taking inspiration from the environment in which it was staged, to an indoor venue?
Yes! That was the fun part of the process. Small little tweaks, adapted for the indoor space, pay attention to spot them!!

Is there anything particular you would like to tell the Istanbul audience before they experience your piece?
Even though we are from different cultural backgrounds, I hope that we can connect and relate through my personal dance language and art. I am so excited to meet all of you and to get to know you. Please come up and say hello, I’d like to chat and share a cup of coffee with all of you!

[The Turkish version of this interview was published in unlimited.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"since she"/pina died: "seit sie" by papaioannou

Dance days in Athens

An étude on the primal matter of hu"man"kind